60 min

Svidník

Svidník
Settlement

725 / 5000 Translation results A district town in the northeast of Slovakia, which is the administrative, economic, cultural, recreational and sports center of the region. It has a significant location on the road Vyšný Komárnik - Barwinek (the largest passage from the Slovak Republic to Poland), it also has a strategic location on the road Via Carpatia. The town of Svidník is historically connected with both world wars, which had a great influence on the development of the territory. In the cultural field, it boasts two museums: the Military History Museum and the SNM - Museum of Ukrainian Culture Svidník, which also includes the Skanzen - an exposition in nature and the Dezider Milly Gallery. The city also houses the State District Archive with valuable funds and documents from the period 1918-1990. Svidník has two Greek Catholic temples.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Svidník open-air museum

Svidník
Nature

This open-air museum is an experience for all ages. On an area of 11 hectares there are 50 objects of folk architecture, cottages covered with straw, a mill, a tavern or a wooden church. The ethnographic exposition in nature was opened to the public in 1982. It gives visitors a comprehensive idea of the basic living conditions of Ukrainians in Slovakia in past historical periods. The dwellings of people from this region, farm buildings, barns, haystacks, barns, as well as technical buildings such as a water mill and a water sawmill, are collected and stored in the open-air museum. Of the sacral buildings, the exposition includes a wooden church (d. 1766) from Nová Polianka (Mergeška) with rich interior decoration.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

Giraltovce

Giraltovce
Settlement

The village is located in the southern part of the Low Beskydy Mountains, at the confluence of the rivers Topľa and Radomka. Radomka, flowing directly into Giraltovce, created a terrain break (notch), the elevation of which from the surface to the highest peak is about 80 m.n.m. The area belongs to the Low Beskydy Mountains in the province of the Eastern Carpathians. The eastern part of the terrain surface around the city is slightly rugged and creates a picturesque hilly area. In the 18th century, the Krasnec family, the Podhorány family and the Szirmay family managed their property here. During this period, a manufactory for the production of faience and a brickyard for the production of brick products were established in the village. Despite this fact, the village had a significant agricultural character in the next century.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Military Museum

Svidník
Culture

The museum is part of the Military History Museum based in Piešťany. Its activities follow the traditions of the Dukel Museum, which was established in 1965. The premises of the museum department were ceremoniously opened on October 4, 1969, on the occasion of the celebrations of the 25th anniversary of the Carpathian-Dukla operation. There are exposition, depository and administrative premises in the building of the museum department. The Museum Department specializes in documenting the military history of Slovakia immediately before and during the First World War in the Eastern Carpathians, the interwar period and the Second World War with an emphasis on the course of the Carpathian-Dukla operation, partisan movement and liberation of Slovakia in 1944-1945. It is interesting that the building in which the Central Exposition of the Museum Department in Svidník is located symbolically resembles an anti-tank mine in its shape.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Memorial of the Czech-Slovak Army Corps

Vyšný Komárnik
Culture

The monument is located in the cadastral area of the village Vyšný Komárnik. By building it in the area of fighting, the government of the Czech-Slovak Republic paid tribute to the fallen soldiers of the 1st Czech-Slovak Army Corps. The monument was built in 1949 and its author is Ing. architect Josef Grus. Next to the memorial is a military burial ground - a cemetery where 565 members of the choir are buried. The monument consists of a high pylon and a columbarium. It closes the south side of the cemetery and together with the ceremonial hall is 28 m high. With its shape, the pylon symbolically represents the strike of the liberation troops into the enemy defenses on the Polish-Czechoslovak border.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Dukla lookout tower

Vyšný Komárnik
Culture
Nature

In the area of the Dukliansky Pass on the Slovak-Polish border, there is a lookout tower from which the visitor can see a wide area of Slovak and Polish territory - the scene of fighting during the Carpathian-Duklian operation. The tower was opened to the public in 1974 on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the fighting for Dukla. It is 49 m high and was built on the site of the original wooden lookout tower from 1959 near the temporary observatory commander of the 1st Czechoslovak Army. Army Corps. The interior of the tower is suitably complemented by works of art: acad. sculptor A. Račka, acad. sculptor J. Koreň and acad. sculptor J. Kulich. In the lookout tower there is a "Plan of the Red Army's strike across the Carpathians for the direct assistance of the SNP" and a "Situation map in the area of the Dukliansky Pass from September 30 to November 5, 1944".

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

II. Monument to the Soviet army

Svidník
Culture

The memorial is located in close proximity to the premises of the Museum Department of the Military History Museum in Svidník. It was unveiled on October 3, 1954 on the occasion of the celebrations of the 10th anniversary of the Carpathian-Dukla operation, and since February 27, 1961 it has been a part of the national cultural monument Dukelské bojisko. The pylon of the monument is 37 meters high and the five-pointed star at its top reaches a height of 3.5 meters. In front of the monument itself is a four-meter bronze statue of a Soviet sergeant who pays homage to fallen comrades. The memorial complex is completed by symbolic graves of fallen members of the Soviet infantry, tankers, artillerymen and airmen. Part of the monument is a war cemetery, which consists of four mass graves. More than 9,000 Soviet soldiers who died during the Carpathian-Dukla operation and in the fighting for northeastern Slovakia are buried in the graves.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Museum of Ukrainian Culture

Svidník
Culture

This museum is a national institution whose mission is to document the basic stages of cultural - historical, political and social development of this population from ancient times to the present. It was established in 1956 in Prešov and has been based in Svidník since 1964. In 2020, the museum was merged with the Slovak National Museum under the name Museum of Ukrainian-Ruthenian Culture. Since 2007, it has been renamed the Museum of Ukrainian Culture, with three exhibitions: the Main Cultural-Historical Exposition, the Ethnographic Exposition in Nature - Open-Air Museum and the Art-Historical Exposition - Dezider Milly Gallery. The museum cooperates in solving synthesizing works and many international projects, especially in the field of research of traditional folk culture in the Carpathians and adjacent areas.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Dolina Śmierci

Kružlová
Nature

This name refers to the area in the valley of the Kapišovka stream, extending between nine villages in the Svidník district. During the Second World War, in the period from 21 to 27 October 1944, heavy fighting took place in this area, which was part of the Carpathian-Dukla operation. The fighting directly affected the villages of Dlhoňa, Dobroslava, Havranec, Kapišová, Kružlová, Nižná Pisaná, Svidnička, Vápeník and Vyšná Pisaná. Soldiers began to call this valley Death Valley. Between Nižná Pisana and Kapišová, the tanks of the Soviet 12th Tank Brigade were destroyed, which were left in places where they were hit by enemy anti-tank weapons. 8 T-34/85 tanks thus became a memento of these difficult battles.

Add to the plan Show detail
15 min

Symbol of tank battles

Svidník
Culture

Between the villages of Kapišová, Kružľová and Nižná Písaná, there is tank equipment in the field depicting a tank company in attack. The tank battles in Death Valley took place from 21 to 27 October 1944, while the symbolic representation of the attacking tanks also represents the symbol of the "Taran" tank battles, which is publicly accessible to enthusiasts of military history.

Add to the plan Show detail