90 min

Humenský sokol

Humennský sokol
Nature

The National Nature Reserve is located in the Humenské vrchy, in the cadastres of the municipalities of Humenné, Ptičie, Chlmec and Jasenov. The reservation was declared in 1980. The communities of dogwood oak, especially the types with felted oak and blue-purple stone, are among the most thermophilic droughts in eastern Slovakia. Under the main ridge, the marrow doubrava passes into a rocky forest-steppe. The area also includes calcareous sandstone conglomerates and caves. The area through which the sidewalk passes belongs to the continuous European system of protected areas. In 1993, an educational trail with a scientific and conservation focus was created. The route consists of a closed circuit with a total length of 3.5 km. The nature trail leads to the Červená skala viewpoint, which is located at an altitude of 447 m. The total tour of the sidewalk takes about 3 hours.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Humenné

Humenné
Settlement

District town in northeastern Slovakia. It is the second largest city in historic Zemplín and at the same time the economic and cultural and social center of Horní Zemplín. It is located at the confluence of the rivers Laborec and Cirocha at an altitude of 157 m above sea level. m. It is surrounded on the north by the southern edge of the Low Beskydy Mountains, on the south by the Vihorlat Hills with the 1,075.5 m high idle volcano Vihorlat. Humenné is located in a valley surrounded on each side by forests. The region around Humenné offers many opportunities for summer and winter hiking, biking as well as shorter but also longer walks around. The cadastral territory of the town of Humenné belongs to the province of the Eastern Carpathians, a sub-province of the outer Eastern Carpathians, the Low Beskids region.

Add to the plan Show detail
90 min

Renaissance castle

Humenné
Culture

The first mention of the manor house as a manor dates from 1449. However, it is probable that at the turn of the 13th and 14th century there was a "castle" - the seat of powerful landowners - Drugeth family, who owned Humenné and the surrounding castles. However, we know nothing more about its appearance and size. Today it is the seat of the Vihorlat Museum and its visitors can see in its premises an art-historical exposition of period interiors, which presents the aristocracy from the Renaissance to the beginning of the 20th century, a natural exposition, occasional exhibitions held in the gallery, or a permanent exhibition. Slovakia, dedicated to the history of the Roma in Slovakia and for visitors to classical music concerts, there is a concert hall.

Add to the plan Show detail
0 min

Vihorlat Museum

Humenné
Culture

It was founded in 1960, and since 1969 it has been housed in a Renaissance manor house from the 17th century. It is a regional museum of patriotic character. The manor house was built at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries and is associated with the fate of the Drugeth family, who created the seat of a large feudal estate in this locality. The monumental four-winged manor house with corner towers was built in the Renaissance by rebuilding an old water castle. The appearance of the building was significantly influenced by the Baroque reconstruction and late Baroque alterations were especially evident in the interiors. In the 19th century, they built a park around the manor. After the fire in 1946, the area was gradually restored and today the manor houses the historical and patriotic collections of the museum. There is an exposition of folk architecture in the park.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Exposition of folk architecture and housing - open

Humenné
Culture

The exposition of folk architecture is located about 200 meters from the building of the Renaissance manor house, which houses the Vihorlat Museum since 1960. The open-air museum was built on the area where the original county greenhouses were located. In a relatively small area, it represents the folk wooden architecture of the Humen district and upper Zemplín. Part of the exhibition was built in the seventies and opened to the public in 1984. At present, it consists of seventeen buildings, mostly typical of folk architecture, only one building is sacral. The main building materials in this area in the past were wood, clay and straw.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Jasenov Castle

Jasenov
Nature

Jasenov is a stream terraced village with a dominant in the form of a castle and a center near the church. The brick development of the houses dates from the second half of the 20th century. According to preserved written sources, Jasenov is one of the oldest villages in the Humenné district. The history of the village dates back to 1317, when it developed from the castle grounds of Jasenov, which was probably built by the Pethéni family. The existence of the castle became better known when the Drugeths became its owners. It belonged to them until the 17th century. Counterfeit coins were minted in the castle. The original small castle with a square tower was extended by the outer Renaissance fortifications of the castle grounds with cannon bastions and a system of protective corridors. In 1644 it was occupied and ravaged by the troops of Juraj Rákoci.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Brekov Castle

Brekov
Nature

This castle is a national cultural monument, to which life has returned thanks to restoration and enthusiasts. The experience of visiting the castle is enhanced by a beautiful distant circular view of the surrounding countryside. While wandering around the castle and in the surroundings, visitors are said to meet a mysterious black horse. The medieval castle Brekov was built in the 13th century on the Hungarian-Polish road. It was built as a guard castle together with the nearby castles of Jasenov, Vinná and Čičva. Two centuries later, it strengthened its fortifications so that in 1466 it could resist fighting between the armies of King Matej Korvín and the Polish ruler Casimir IV.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

Roman Catholic Church of All Saints

Humenné
Culture

National cultural monument with a significant sacral building, located in the center of Humenne. It was originally dedicated to the Virgin Mary together with the monastery. The former Franciscan monastery, today the parish Roman Catholic church, is the easternmost Gothic building in Europe outside of brick Gothic. It was originally dedicated to the Virgin Mary together with the monastery. The decoration of the church includes stained glass windows by the academic painter Mikuláš Klimčák, a native of Humenné. The church also houses the remains of St. Boniface, which were received by Mr. Sigismund II of Humen. Drugeth as a gift from the Pope in 1677. The present church presents a large single-nave building with a polygonally finished shrine. The building of the church comes from the Gothic style.

Add to the plan Show detail
15 min

Statue of the good soldier Švejk

Humenné
Culture

The cast stone statue of the good soldier Švejk has been located at the Humenné railway station since October 6, 2000. Until recently, Schweik had no statue in the world to commemorate his famous military campaign. The statue of the good soldier Švejk stands there with a good-natured smile and an inseparable pipe by the well, from which the novel character of the writer Jaroslav Hašek when visiting Humenné pila "excellent iron water". It is a smiling reminder of the sad years of the First World War. The author of the sculpture is the human sculptor Jaroslav Drotár. The tourist route "In the footsteps of the good soldier Švejk" leads from Humenné along the railway route through Radvaň nad Laborcom to the Polish town of Sanok, where there are several monuments in honor of the good soldier Švejk.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

Calvary

Humenné
Culture

The Calvary in Humenné is a national cultural monument. It was built at the end of the 19th century on empty slopes in the northern part above the city. The Calvárie architectural ensemble dates from 1891. The Stations of the Cross, consisting of 14 chapels, is lined with a tree-lined alley from the time of construction. In the brick chapels there are metal reliefs with scenes of the Stations of the Cross. The dominant feature of Calvary is the Church of Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows, built in the Classicist style. It is single-nave, with a presbytery and a tower. The facade is divided by lysines. In front of the church there are three crosses - a central stone cross with a cast iron body of the Crucified and on the sides two wooden crosses with tin figures of thieves.

Add to the plan Show detail