The market square in Rzeszów
The market square in Rzeszów is a square located in the center of the old town of Rzeszów, in the Śródmieście district, surrounded by many shops and cafes, as well as where numerous cultural events take place. The current buildings date from the 19th century and are the result of a fire that hit the city in 1842. Earlier, there were probably low wooden or partially brick houses with cellars in the market square, which have survived to this day and are a tourist attraction. The dominant structure of the market square is the free-standing town hall in the south-west corner, on the tower of which in the 17th century there was a bell, the strikes of which announced the beginning and end of trade conducted here products such as jewelry, clothes, furniture, etc., until the construction of the New Town market was undertaken. A very popular tourist route has been created in the underground corridors of the market square.