The Discalced Carmelite Monastery in Zagórze

Description

The Discalced Carmelite Monastery in Zagórze is a monumental ruin of a late Baroque church and monastery – a stronghold of the Discalced Carmelites from the 18th century, located on the Mariemont hill (345 m above sea level) in the bend of the Osława River. It is one of the few preserved fortified monasteries in Poland. The founder of the caramel in Zagórze was the Voivode of Volhynia, Jan Adam Stadnicki. The construction work took 30 years, and the cornerstone was laid on August 7, 1700. The monastery complex consisted mainly of: the church of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the monastery and farm buildings, and they were surrounded by high defensive walls. Over the years, the monastery was consumed by two great fires: after the first one it was rebuilt, but after the second, which took place in 1822, not anymore, and with time the buildings began to deteriorate and fall into ruin. Currently, conservation works are underway there.

Map

More details

Stay:
60 min
Category
Culture